3.28.2014

the scary wake up call

 We were having a very relaxing Sunday morning.  For the first time in months I wasn't trying to prepare a lesson for sunbeams, I'd showered and was ready for the day.  Jared was taking it easy after his snowmobile accident the Friday before.  Blake was wondering around as he usually does but I didn't realize where he was or what he was doing till it was too late.  I had done the dishes earlier that morning but forgot to put the elastic back on the knobs under the sink.  I heard him choking and coughing then found him with the lid off of the bottle and clearly he had a big drink of a cleaner.  I think I have used this cleaner once, so I knew the bottle was basically full.  When I saw how much was gone it was a very high panic mode.  I turned over the bottle to read, Keep out of reach of pets and children, harmful or fatal if swallowed.  Do not induce vomiting, contains petroleum . . . Blake couldn't stop coughing and gagging and soon after began to throw up.  He threw up about 3 times and it was quite a bit, so I know he had a few good size swallows of the cleaner.  Thought for a second about calling 911 but decided to run him to the er instead.  Luckily I was ready for the day so I ran to my closet to throw on some clothes, knowing and panicking that we were in real trouble.  There is nothing that makes me more nutty than when I hear of things could be prevented.  Anyway we took Blake to the er coughing and crying all the way.  They took him right back to get an IV in him and check his oxygen.  I don't know what it was when we first go there but I know at some point he was in the low 80's.  THe first IV in his elbow blew . . . nice then they had to do another in his foot, all the while he is being held down and screaming and can hardly breathe.  They did a chest xray gave him some albuterol and blow by oxygen, and anti nausea medicine.  It's hard to know how long we were there but after he'd been traumatized he was able to calm down and we just rocked him.  We heard different things from different doctors and nurses throughout the ordeal but they sent us to Primary's by ambulance.   At this point we'd been given the impression that we'd be there for 5 or 6 days while his lung tissue re-cooped from the poison.   I called my dad to come help Jared with a blessing but he hadn't arrived yet so Jared was holding Blake in his arms and gave him a father's blessing.  I've never seen Jared brake down the way he did, he was very emotional through the process, he also hates hospitals and anything medical, as well as still being a bit dizzy and sore from his crash 2 days before.
My dad arrived shortly after and Blake received another blessing.  It was very calming in moments of a lot of crazy scary emotions but both blessings answered.  We were ready to get on the ambulance and Blake was very calm.  I stayed with him and Jared followed - which scared me more than Blake at the time.  But Blake was very relaxed and also very tired after his body had been through that marathon.
 The paramedics were very nice and reassuring, Blake did great the whole way.  Once at Primary's they looked him over again.  His throat hadn't been burned his lungs were sounding okay and oxygen was above 90.  For the next 5 hours mostly Blake slept in our arms.  First we were told he couldn't have anything to eat or drink, luckily he was sleeping, but finally after his second xray at 3 we asked the doctor when he could have something to drink and she said, "Oh yeah he can eat and drink."  That was very annoying to get different answers from different people.  About 4 o clock Blake got to enjoy some milk and water and graham crackers.  Poor guy, dumb doctors!  After talking with poison control they decided to keep Blake overnight because reactions sometimes don't present right away.  He didn't get much of a dinner before bed but he was so tired.  It was a bit of a process getting him to sleep in the hospital crib being hooked to wires, and not wanting us to put him down.  He was scared anytime anyone came in the room.  After 45 minutes we seemed to have gotten him all settled in for bed.  3 min later the nurse walks in and says, Hi Im here to do his vitals.  UGH it was going to be a long night after a long day.  Around 10 Blake had a fever of 103.7 I believe and his oxygen was going back down to 90 and 88.  She gave him Tylenol . . .then an hour later motrin . . . then his fever seemed to be getting better.  Honestly Tylenol!  I'm not one to argue with medical people but after this I think I may start.  It was a bit scary during his fever, lots of different scenerios kept running though my head.  But by 12:30 1 oclock he was wide awake and wanting to play.  Which of course was great news to us but we were very tired.  We watched tv for a little bit and he talked to himself on Jared's phone, it was a very cute conversation.  I don't know what time it was when I got him back to bed but I know shortly after the nurses were in the room again . . . . we did get a couple hours of sleep and we are so lucky that everything turned out the way it did, staying in the hospital with a toddler, not fun.   His oxygen was back to normal and heart rate was good, breathing was good, at one point on Sunday afternoon his breathing was 56 bpm.  Anyway we were in the clear to get the heck out of there and it felt great to be leaving the hospital with our baby in arms and no major damage done.
 Waiting and sleeping and sleeping and waiting.
 Blake has never been a sleep in his carseat baby as Bronson and Levi always were but he was pretty exhausted too.  He is still nervous of people getting close to him that he doesn't know and getting
him to sleep the past couple nights has been a lot trickier.  But we are just so glad he is home and okay.
 Blake had a follow up with out Dr. the next day and he wanted another xray, which was stupid since he didn't have the other 2 to compare them.  Anyway as if he hadn't been traumatized enough some genius came up with this torture chamber for babies to get xrays in.  He was turned toward the black mat on the right then they slid another black plate right across his face.  He couldn't see anything his head was totally jammed in this horrible test tube.  Anyway it was a big fat joke and Blake doesn't want to have anything to do with anyone touching him ever again.

We are so grateful, as scary as it was it could have been so much worse.  It never should have happened but we now know how important being aware of everything in your house is.  I could say a lot more about it but won't.  I just feel so bad my baby had to go through all of this when it so easily could have been prevented.  Our family, friends and neighbors were so great and concerned about Blake.  We are very lucky to have such great people to look after us.  

No comments: