10.13.2008

A Tale of Two Rings

It was the night of my Grandma's birthday party and family members had gathered at my mom's house to celebrate.  Reluctantly I went with Jared to Brigham City for the wedding reception of one of his mission buddies.  On the drive home he took the Willard Bay exit, using the excuse that, well actually he didn't have an excuse so he just got back on the freeway (aka - he chickened out).  I was getting anxious to get back to my mom's before everybody left but Jared wanted to take me to Davis High for a dance in the parking lot.  Oh brother, I thought can't we do this some other time?  Come on he says, alright but make it snappy!  - - - authors note: dancing in parking lots used to be quite romantical for us youngsters. - - -   So we hopped out of the car, Jared taking a little longer than me (aka - he had to grab the ring) and then we started dancing under the cold October sky by the tennis courts at Davis High.  I really don't remember too much of what he said, something like "Michelle you are the most wonderful person I know and I would be nobody without you" ha, just kidding I really don't remember, but after he gave his little speech he fished around in his pocket, dropped to one knee and popped the question.  The ring fit, and I loved it.  I had shown Jared what I liked but he designed it himself.  Of course we had to go show our parents and tell them the good news.


A month or so later another ring was acquired to be seen not until the wedding day by prince charming.  The ring fit and he liked it (phew).   
 Ring #2 was worn on special occasions, only a dozen times or so to be true, for fear of loosing one's finger or turning it black and blue.

Now these two rings sit on separate shelves all alone, for the fingers that they were once home to, boy have they both grown.  One has sat over 16 months as retaining water made it too snug, and the other has just sat for who knows how long probably home to a little bug.  This is a very pathetic story but one I thought I would share, because someday my knuckle will shrink and the ring soon will be there.   Why I started rhyming half way through this tale, is something you'll have to figure out on your own, my brain needs to go back to English as it has no idea how to write a poem.

Thanks for still loving me Jared, chubby fingers and all!

7 comments:

Misty said...

Wow! Six years! That is awesome! You make such a cute couple. Congratulations!

Cami Erickson said...

beautiful, brought a tear to my eye...

Steph said...

Awe, so romantic!

Julie said...

That's sweet. Six years and the rings are already shelved. Well, they are just a symbol, on or off of your fingers, they still mean the same thing.

thecaldwells said...

So cute! Loved the story... and the great picture. I have decided to go private to. I will send you a message.
P.S. I never get tired of reading your blog!

Natalie said...

Love it! Brian doesn't wear his ring either...I think the whole "loose your finger" bit is an old-husband tale.
Happy Engagement Anniversary!!

Heather said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been married six years! I was also looking at my wedding ring yesterday b/c I took it off to knead some bread dough and realized I won't be able to wear it much longer.
What a cute love story you two have.