9.06.2011

13.1 ----- DONE!

My cute spectators.
So here it is, I like running, it's challenging, good exercise, mind clearing,
all that good stuff. However, I don't have much luck during actual races.
After training with my sisters I was having hope that I might have a chance to
do pretty well. I was hoping to be under 2 hours. A time that seemed reasonable after
the way I'd been running. Race day however, well at about mile . . . . . hmmmm . . . . 2
I was feeling a little light headed and nauseous. I was wishing I had some iron pills rather
than disgusting power beans. Steph, my pace runner :) kept asking me if I needed to walk but I knew if I started walking that early it was going to be a long 13 miles. So I think Melissa and I kept up with Steph till about mile 4 - it was my intention to stick with her the whole time.
At mile six I had no choice but to stop for a potty break. Great, now Melissa is gone and I'm all alone. I think I was around mile 8 when I first started taking walking breaks. I know people don't have high energy running a half marathon but it seemed like I was very drained. Again at mile 9, potty break. Why does running have to be so hard on your stomach, seriously? I was totally sick and feeling very wimpy. I saw Amber at mile 9 and hoped I might catch up with her after I went to the bathroom. NOPE. All alone again, taking two cups of water and an orange slice at every stop. By mile 11 I think I was doing more walking than running, I was very very tired and very very tired, just like every other runner I'm sure. Anyway I finished in 2:24, the last of my four sisters. The thing with running is that the only person you have to compete against is yourself. That day, I was grateful for 2:24 it feel like much longer.
This is just before the finish line. I remember closing my eyes trying really
hard to keep running and not pass out or fall over - OBVIOUSLY!
I didn't even spot my family in the crowd, I tried to scan quickly but mostly I just looked
at the pavement so I couldn't see how much further I had.
Me and Dad
Me and Melissa
Me and Levi
and a leftover Ragnar picture of leg 3.

I guess the hardest part was that afterwards, I got a lot of "what happened to you" not many congratulations, good job hanging in there. Anyway, I'm not going to say I'm never going to run 13.1 miles again, but I doubt it will be in a formal race. I do much better when I can run on my
own schedule. Thanks TOU for the booty whoopin'.

http://www.zazoosh.com/events/searchPhotos/472?evtId=472&query=312&x=0&y=0

and if those pictures weren't painful enough here's the rest of the story.
It really never crossed my mind to give a big thumbs up and a big cheese to all the
photographers on the street. Next time I'll know better, oh ya, there probably won't be a next time. But I am proud of myself, in my book, races aren't meant to be won, only completed.
(that's just something slow people say :)

finals
Steph - 2:01
Melissa 2:15
Amber 2:22
Michelle 2:24
It was nice to find a little relief at the lake afterwards, thanks Chad and Melissa

No comments: