12.09.2008

"What do I do, what do I do?"


Before I get started I just want to preface by saying that I'm not complaining, just stating facts. Yesterday was a crazy and sad day, I had the uh . . . . . privilege of watching 4 of my nieces and nephews and of course Bronson too ~ so 5 kids 5 and under.  I've always been a girl who has wanted a big family, like 4 being the minimum, but after yesterday I'm thinking maybe I'm not meant to be a mom of a large family ~ maybe 2 is just what we need.  Sadly they weren't really doing anything too terrible I'm just realizing that my patience some days is in the negative range. So that would be the crazy part, the sad part is that Bronson's diarrhea has not gone away yet and yesterday it got much worse - with a hot red bum to accompany his misery.  He had about 8 dirty diapers, that alone is a tragedy because he hates getting his diaper changed but when you add a very sore bum, let's just say he wasn't the only one crying.  I had the bright idea last night to just rinse him off in the sink instead of wiping.  So we get the temp just right and I tap the faucet a little so the pressure isn't so high and begin to use the little sprayer on him.  All of the sudden he lets out a shrill scream and his little bum cheeks go very tight.  I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  So I stopped spraying him only to realize the water was scalding hot.  What!?  We just had it barely luke warm, and I sprayed it on his already very red and sore bum.  AHHHHHHHHH!  Michelle what is wrong with you?  It reminded me of the time I clipped of the tip of his finger when I was trying to cut his fingernails.  As we were trying to figure out how it happened Jared informs me that your hose will hold the water from the previous time you've used it.  Oh man, I'm so dumb, and my poor little boy has to suffer because of it.  Anyway as we've had to change quite a few diapers I've come up with something that needs to be invented, a misting spray bottle for diaper rash ointment.  Anyway hopefully this will pass very soon, red bums are no fun and I have enough guilt to last me a life time.  
(so much for being the super mom type ~ big sigh :o)

6 comments:

Natalie said...

You are not alone! I've scalded Ryker one too many times!! So sorry your day went from bad to worse. Isn't that the way the cookie crumbles sometimes? I still think you are a super mom Ü. I thought I wanted a lot of kids as well. I'm pretty sure my patience will max out at 3!!

Mel said...

I'm with you on the patience thing!! The blessing with kids is that they usually come 1 at a time, and as they get older they can help with the little ones, and they go to school all day, and that is a glorious thing too!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Hopefully the sore bum gets better soon!!:)

Amber said...

Michelle, you are a great mom AND a great aunt! We love you! sorry you are still dealing with the poops, and apparantly a little more! So sorry!

Chesney said...

I have a solution for the Diaper rash soar butt problem....When Lexie gets a bad rash I use Aquaphor, it is made by Eucerin. It is the best stuff ever. It is a little expensive but well worth the money. I like to use it on dry hands and lips as well. I am sure you have seen it or maybe even used it before, I just wanted to let you know what works for me. Anywho good luck, I hope the rash clears up soon :)

Heather said...

first of all, you should know by now that watching other peoples kids is VERY different from having your own. so go ahead with your big family. you can handle it.
Second of all, we have all accidentally done something to hurt our kids worse then they are already hurting. He will be fine and the good thing is he won't even remember it in a day or so. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Kim said...

Oh Michelle, sorry to hear you've had such a hectic time. I think we get those thoughts b/c we are taking care of so many 'little' kids when in reality they would be spaced just a little farther apart, and more managable.
Also, here is a GREAT trick for diaper rash, it works everytime with my kids. Put 1/2 cup of baking soda in a warm bath and let him play, then gently pat dry and let him air out a little. It really really works!