2.04.2011

Up is Down and Down is Up



Last Saturday I was able to attend my mom's stake Women's conference. One of the speakers was Katherine Nelson "Emma". I forgot the other guys name but it was a great conference. I have always had a great love and respect for Emma, as I'm sure anyone who knows anything about her does. I think I had a little glimpse as to what the purpose of all of Emma's suffering was, and I'd never thought of it before. She has now become a beacon for all latter day saint women to look to, as Emma endured and kept her faith through so much suffering, we can all draw strength from her example. To some degree I think people feel like they know Joseph and Emma. It just makes me so grateful for their lives of never-ending faith, pushed to the limit, but still holding on. Anyway I really enjoyed Sister Nelson's comments and insights about Emma, and of course her voice is one of my favorites of all time.

I think the other guys name was James Ferrell, but I can't remember for sure. He also gave a wonderful talk about the necessity and pure gift of "being brought low". He talked about the paradox in the scriptures about up is down and down is up. In 1Nephi 8:30 once people had reached the tree, they fell down to partake of the fruit. And in Alma, Korihor, convincing everyone to let go of everything that was holding them down, but it was only the lowly in heart who were able to see their mistakes and repent. This sounds very simple as I'm typing it, but I guess I just love always being able to learn enough to know that I know nothing at all. He also talked about loving as the Savior loves and not waiting until we feel like people are "worthy" of our love and respect.

I loved being able to go. It was just what I needed after some very stressful and lonely weeks. I'm so grateful . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . for everything.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing that Michelle. There were some things in there I needed to hear. I am reading a book that Grandma Buckley gave to me a looong time ago about Joseph and Emma. It is very interesting.