Last night I went to a parenting class for R.S. with Jared. We brought up the question of what to do with a child that is constantly chewing on his clothes? Not just clothes but he likes to put some of the strangest things in his mouth. He often has his hands, toys, hair elastics, books, Levi's binki's, sometimes he'll just bite the couch, or even his brother (but that's another story), today he took a bite out of Simba's bone, he even licks us. The lady said it sounds like he has an oral sensory issue. I never wanted to get mad at Bronson for chewing except when he chews on his clothes, because he's ruining his clothes.
I remembered chewing on the front of my nightgowns, also my hair. Not a desirable thing to do but I did it, so I just figured he'll eventually grow out of it. I think I was in high school when I made the connection that I like to chew and have things in my mouth. I didn't really have a desire to eat my shirt at this point so I would just eat food, as well as my pen lids, the inside of my cheek and lips, straws, I always saved my straws so I could chew on them. I've always loved ice as well, and drinking from sipper lids until I was about 12. Even now there is not a popsicle that I eat that I don't turn my stick into a small broom. Frozen treats and drinks are probably my favorite, with chewy cookies coming in second :).
So now that I'm making a stronger connection about my tendencies and my behaviors, I'm trying to figure how to satisfy the need to chew or have something in my mouth without constantly putting food in it. A real dilemma for me as you can see. I guess I'm just glad I'm becoming more aware of what it is I'm trying to satisfy, chewing rather than hunger. I'm sure about 90% of the time that I'm putting food in my mouth is because of boredom or to help myself relax. I'd dare say that I only eat because I'm hungary about 5% of the time but it's probably even less.
I've also always been a fidgeter, clicking pens, drumming my fingers, doodling on paper, and just about anything else I could do to keep my fingers busy. This of course would drive Cami up the wall as I used to run my fingers across the bars at the bottom of her bunk bed when we were trying to go to sleep. Probably the only other things besides chewing or fidgeting to relax myself would be pulling out my tweezers, or redecorating my blog. I have spent many hours changing my blog backgrounds. It simply felt satisfying to try on different backgrounds until I could find the one that fit me for that moment. So does this make me obsessive compulusive, always playing with the objects set before me?
Anyway I hope I can direct Bronson in a positive direction. I'm really not as concerned
breaking the habit as just finding something that will be socially acceptable. If he didn't stick the gum we give him up his nose that would be my first choice because he LOVES gum. I found some of these fidget toys and chew sticks on line. It seems they are used by a lot by Occupational Therapists, kids with autism, cerebral palsy, adhd, and kids with oral sensory disorders, (which seem to be a bit more serious than what Bronson is doing). He loves eating frozen fruit so I think I'll try to start with that. He also still likes using he little food net . . . thing he used when he was a baby and couldn't get enough of it. Levi on the other hand thought it was the dumbest thing ever and would just throw it on the floor.
breaking the habit as just finding something that will be socially acceptable. If he didn't stick the gum we give him up his nose that would be my first choice because he LOVES gum. I found some of these fidget toys and chew sticks on line. It seems they are used by a lot by Occupational Therapists, kids with autism, cerebral palsy, adhd, and kids with oral sensory disorders, (which seem to be a bit more serious than what Bronson is doing). He loves eating frozen fruit so I think I'll try to start with that. He also still likes using he little food net . . . thing he used when he was a baby and couldn't get enough of it. Levi on the other hand thought it was the dumbest thing ever and would just throw it on the floor. I don't know maybe it is a disorder, or maybe we just have a weird quirk. I'm pretty sure my dad is a chewer too considering he eats a cup of sunflower seeds every night, and can't say no to food that is in front of him, even though he's not hungary, or even full, or sick to his stomach, hmmm just like his daughter.
It's always fascinated me why people are the way they are, birth order, sociology, genes, it's all interesting, very interesting. I know babies like to put things in their mouths for lots of reasons it's just funny to me now. What a cute baby.
3 comments:
well it's hereditary...so just chalk that up to ONE MORE thing I got! I am a total chewer and figeter too...although after someone noticed my fidgeting, and said something about it...I am way more concientious (sp?) I still doodle though...so maybe the next time I notice you fidgeting I'll let you know you are bugging me. Really, even though those were not the words said to me, it made me SO much more aware of my actions...and I don't want to bug. It's funny, because now I notice when other people are doing it...and it kind of bugs me. So in my case, self dicipline has helped too. So just the fact that you aware helps. Libby is also a chewer...and I've started noticing little holes in her shirts arg, but she has been chewing on stuff since she was tiny too. Mom made her a rag quilt, and she used to chew on one side, and pull out the strings with her teeth...the one side of her blanket is now moon shaped. I've also noticed that she is my boredom eater...maybe cause she is trying to satisfy that need as well...so when you figure out something or anything that works with Bronson...let me know. In the meantime, I'm just trying to remind her to not ruin her clothes.
hmm, it's all making sense now... you had a problem and I just wanted to SLEEP!!! Maybe you get it from both Mom and Dad. Dad does like to chew, but Mom is the tapper, the drummer, the leader of the song in the car, the whistler, the hummer, and the nervous face toucher. So what did the speaker say to do about it??
So interesting. Just for the record, I have never noticed him constantly chewing or sucking on anything:) Hope you find something that works. I have never heard of a food net. What is it?
Post a Comment